This Won’t Kill You
By Rex Stout; Read by David Elias
1 Cassette – Approx. 60 Minutes [ABRIDGED]
Publisher: DH Audio
Themes: / Mystery / Murder / Crime / Baseball /
Nero Wolfe couldn’t care less about baseball, even the World Series final game–until four players are drugged. Now a team’s chances, and maybe their star players, are dead. Evidence is hard to find, so Archie Goodwin dodges fists and acid while the boss keeps one little secret from the police.
There’s a whole team of suspects for Nero Wolfe to confront in this peppy locked stadium mystery.
Narator David Elias is terrific, filling his lungs for the resonant corpulence of Wolfe’s voice, then higher pitching and faster talking-it for the energetic Archie Goodwin. As well, Elias offers many variation’s on accents and voices for the numerous other minor characters filling out this novelette. He also ain’t bad with a falsetto. The abridgment is very skillful. Rex Stout’s plots are often highly complex, and can lead a reader to be confused as it is. Whatever was expunged for this edition, this audiobook abridgment is easy to follow.
Posted by Jesse Willis
- Some OUT OF PRINT Rex Stout / Nero Wolfe audiobooks
- CBC + RR.cc: Rex Stout’s Nero Wolfe EXCELLENT RADIO DRAMA from 1982
- The Third Annual SFFaudio Challenge – make an AUDIOBOOK, get an AUDIOBOOK!
- Voices In The Wind: The Pigeon Drop
- The SFFaudio Podcast #428 – READALONG: Burglars Can’t Be Choosers by Lawrence Block
- Review of The Twilight Zone No. 1 – The Mighty Casey by Rod Serling