BBC7’s the 7th Dimension is re-airing one of my favorite’s from their archives. A terrific story, an unabridged reading of Ted Chiang‘s novelette Understand. It follows in the tradition of Daniel Keyes’ Flowers For Algernon and was first published in “Isaac Asimov’s Science Fiction Magazine” in 1991. This production has been previously broadcast on BBC7 a few times. If you haven’t already heard it, have a listen, you won’t be sorry.
By Ted Chiang; Read by Rashan Stone
4 half-hour segments – Approx. 2 Hours [UNABRIDGED]
BROADCASTER: BBC Radio 7 / The 7th Dimension
AIRING: Weekdays from July 17th to July 20th 2007
Leon is a former coma victim, who has gone experimental medical treatment to repair the massive trauma his brain recieved after he was trapped under ice for more than an hour. He’s regained consciousness, found he has all of his faculties back and a whole lot more.
All four parts will be available via the Listen Again service for six days after each broadcast.
- BBC Radio 7’s The 7th Dimension does Understand by Ted Chiang
- BBC7: Understand by Ted Chiang
- BBC7’s The Seventh Dimension has a Brian Aldiss short story!
- 7th Dimension has a J.G. Ballard short story and Shirley Jackson’s novel The Haunting Of Hill House
- BBC Radio 4: Chronicles Of Ait and The First Men In The Moon
- BBC Radio 4 Extra: Pratchett, Gaiman, Gibson, Bradbury