Forgive me, I’ve posted part of this before, but it’s good enough to post twice. Frederik Pohl and Isaac Asimov were interviewed for a 1972 show called The First Edition. Apparently the show never aired, and was never edited.
“THE FIRST EDITION – FIRST SHOW – 1972 – Raw interview material for unfinished show”
I repost the interview, in part because of how damn cool it is, and also in part because it is just the excuse I need to post what might very well be Frederik Pohl and Isaac Asimov first appearance together in print (in the letters column of the June 1939 issue of Thrilling Wonder Stories). Be sure to listen, it’s a terrific interview! In it Asimov responds to the “New Wave” and attacks neo-Luddites, and Pohl protests the takeover of Science Fiction by the “English lit majors” (Pohl didn’t finish high school).
Be sure to read the letters below in which the two Brooklyn boys, Fred and Isaac, grumble about SF. Pohl has some sharp words for the art of Frank R. Paul and Asimov swears he will eat Uranus!
[via The Voices Of Fandom and with props to “Burbank396”]
Posted by Jesse Willis
- TVOF: Interviews with Hal Clement, Poul Anderson, A.E. van Vogt, Isaac Asimov and Frederik Pohl
- AUTHOR PAGE additions: FREDERIK POHL
- Isaac Asimov Memorial panel from MagiCon (the 1992 WorldCon)
- Day Million by Frederik Pohl (experimental video)
- The SFFaudio Podcast #028
- CBS Radio Workshop: The Space Merchants RADIO DRAMA