There’s a terrific illustrated, and partially animated, audiobook app available free in the Apple App store. Made by vNovel Interactive The Raven by Edgar Allan Poe features a solid reading (by Domien de Groot), some unnecessary sound effects (rapping, tapping, creaking, and cawing), and some of the most gorgeous illustrations (by Vladimir Rikowski) of the poem that I’ve ever seen.
There’s an iPad version too, it’s HERE.
Experience “The Raven”, as it comes to life, like you’ve never seen it before: an innovative double play mode interactive book, featuring a world-class audio performance of Edgar Allan Poe’s classic poem.
Go back to the place where it all began, in the midst of a dreary night – the kind, the ghosts of our past (that come back to haunt us) find irresistible. Relive this poetic, frightening and sad tale of love and soul forever lost, in a charming new light.
With a powerful original musical score, that resonates deep within, and contemporary original art, that rivals some of the most expressive illustrations of the past – this is an experience you will never forget.
Musical score composed by Zoltan Csordas:
Incidentally, the app isn’t fully featured, there’s no rewind feature, only a pause. If you want to restart, or return to the main menu, shake your iOS device.
Posted by Jesse Willis
- LibriVox+Gutenberg=YouTube: The Raven by Edgar Allan Poe
- Basil Rathbone reads The Raven by Edgar Allan Poe
- Lit2Go: The Philosophy Of Composition by Edgar Allan Poe
- Review of Into That Darkness Peering: Nightmarish Tales Of The Macabre Vol. 1 by Edgar Allan Poe
- Neil Gaiman on Edgar Allan Poe (his work should be read aloud)
- Audiobook DJ: Public Allan Poe