Someone has posted a 1965 CBC Radio dramatization of the “apocalyptic science fiction novel” by John Wyndham’s novel The Kraken Wakes to Archive.org. Unlike a lot of OTR (old time radio) this is very likely not in the public domain (as claimed on the site), but does qualify as the audio drama equivalent of abandonware (as CBC never rebroadcast it or made it commercially available) – either way if you’re going to hear it it’d be wise to be quick about it.
The Kraken Wakes
Based on the novel by John Wyndham; Adapted by Eric Cameron; Performed by a full cast
5 Zipped MP3 Files – Approx. 2.5 Hours [RADIO DRAMA]
Broadcaster: CBC Radio Vancouver
At first, the fireballs seemed to be nothing more than a dazzling display of lights in the sky, plunging into the deepest oceans and disappearing without trace. But when ships started sinking inexplicably and the sea-lanes became impassable it seemed that the world was facing a threat of unprecedented proportions. Recorded at CBC Radio Vancouver.
Sound effects by Lars Eastholm
Produced and directed by Norman Euton
Technical operations by Ian Stephens
Incidently there is a BBC radio drama version of The Kraken Wakes that’s commercially available.
Posted by Jesse Willis
- BBC 7: The Day Of The Triffids by John Wyndham
- REPS Podcast: CBC Stage: Fahrenheit 451 adapted from the novel by Ray Bradbury
- Review of Song Bird from RRCA
- CBC Radio One has Canadia: 2056 Season 1, Episode 1 Today!
- Robert J. Sawyer dropped a few more hints about th…
- CBC cancels its most popular podcast