Escape Pod has a Nebula award-nominated story about Santa Claus and the end of the universe.
They come to a cloud of silver mist, and there Santa finds a little boy made of molten silver with liquid silver eyes and sweeping silver delta wings. His wrists are ringed with missile launchers, and a rounded cone emerges from a cavity in his chest. Once there were many silver boys, fleets of them, protecting the outermost parts of inhabited space against things that came from outside inhabited space. But now, there is only the silver boy.
“You, sir,” the silver boy says, “are a tiresome consciousness cluster. Your binary value system remains as laughable as it is irrelevant. How you manage to remain cohesive is beyond me.”
“My value system is hardly binary,” Santa says. “In between naughty and nice I’ve made room for you: grumpy but fundamentally sound. Do you want a toy or not?”
And be sure to stick around for the closing rendition of Chiron Beta Prime.
Subscribe to the podcast feed via this url:
Posted by Jesse Willis
- The SFFaudio Podcast #242 – AUDIOBOOK: Herland by Charlotte Perkins Gilman
- Escape Pod #101 features Hugo Award winning Mike Resnick: The 43 Antarean Dynasties
- Escape Pod: Bride Of Frankenstein by Mike Resnick
- Escape Pod: Rescue Party by Arthur C. Clarke
- Escape Pod: Hawksbill Station by Robert Silverberg
- Escape Pod: All You Zombies by Robert A. Heinlein