Escape Pod is proving that it can draw the biggest names in Science Fiction! This week’s story is by Hugo and Nebula award winning Robert J. Sawyer. This is amazing. Is there anything Escape Pod can’t do?
The Pioneer Spirit was a colonization ship; it wasn’t intended as a diplomatic vessel. When it had left Earth, it had seemed important to get at least some humans off the mother world. Two small-scale nuclear wars—Nuke I and Nuke II, as the media had dubbed them—had already been fought, one in southern Asia, the other in South America. It appeared to be only a matter of time before Nuke III, and that one might be the big one.
SETI had detected nothing from Tau Ceti, at least not by 2051. But Earth itself had only been broadcasting for a century and a half at that point; Tau Ceti might have had a thriving civilization then that hadn’t yet started using radio. But now it was twelve hundred years later. Who knew how advanced the Tau Cetians might be?
- ADDED: an AUTHOR PAGE for ROBERT J. SAWYER
- CBC Radio will broadcast and podcast Robert J. Sawyer’s Rollback
- CBC Spark: Robert J. Sawyer on his WWW trilogy (and Mindscan)
- Escape Pod: All You Zombies by Robert A. Heinlein
- Paul Levinson interviews Robert J. Sawyer about the new FlashForward TV series
- UPDATE: This has been moved up a day to Wednesday,…