In less than 3,000 words H.G. Wells planted the seed, as it were, for a rare and delicate subspecies of Science Fiction we might call Botanical Horror SF. As Mr. Jim Moon, of the wondrous Hypnobobs podcast, points out in his introduction to his reading, this seed would later flower into a John Wyndham novel we all know and love.
So, grab some coffee, head into the greenhouse, and listen to this curious story of where it all started.
The Flowering Of The Strange Orchid
By H.G. Wells; Read by Jim Moon
1 |MP3| – Approx. 1 Hour 21 Minutes [UNABRIDGED]
Podcast: April 6, 2012
First published in Pall Mall Budget, December 27, 1894.
Podcast feed: http://feeds.feedburner.com/Hypnobobs
And, here’s an illustrated |PDF|.
Posted by Jesse Willis
- The Diamond Maker by H.G. Wells
- Reading, Short And Deep #124 – The Treasure In The Forest by H.G. Wells
- Hypnobobs: The Horror Of The Heights by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle
- Voices In The Dark: The Stolen Bacillus by H.G. Wells
- Hypnobobs: What Was It? by Fitz James O’Brien
- Hypnobobs: The Graveyard Rats by Henry Kuttner