I’ve had The Craft of Science Fiction, a Massachusetts Institute of Technology video on my hard drive for more than a year. In it MIT professor and SF author Joe Haldeman reads from The Accidental Time Machine. He also talks candidly about his work (teaching writing at MIT), the problem of “faith based initiatives” (they’re too effective), and plenty more. For those who’ve read or heard Haldeman’s The Hemingway Hoax, there’s value here too as Haldeman explains his through fascination with Hemingway. He ruminates on the relationship between Heinlein’s Starship Troopers, his own The Forever War and OSC’s Ender’s Game and plenty more. I’m kind of glad I waited, there are plenty of spoilers for Haldeman’s The Accidental Time Machine in the vid – but, for those who’ve read or listened to it already – you’ll definitely dig it. The video runs about 2 hours 20 minutes – I got it through iTunes U but the video can be watched here below for those who aren’t portable.
Personally, I think it’s full of the very best kind of ivory tower goodness. What do you think?
Posted by Jesse Willis
- Joe Haldeman on "The Craft of Science Fiction" and his new novel
- Review of The Accidental Time Machine by Joe Haldeman
- Review of The Hemingway Hoax by Joe Haldeman
- Review of The Forever War by Joe Haldeman
- Recent Arrivals – Joe Haldeman and Robert J. Sawyer
- New Audiobook Imprint Available for Public Libraries