Our friend David Stifel, of the Fantastic Worlds Of Edgar Rice Burroughs, has a new audiobook up on Audible.com. Sez David:
“Originally published in 1980, it’s a wonderful 17 hour epic that I’d best describe as a really fine Tom Clancy style geopolitical thriller, with a Chariots of the Gods type foundation.”
It apparently has a “huge international set of very colorful characters, a really fun plot and really good writing!” And of course with David doing the narration it should sound terrific. As for the plot, it seems reminiscent of Scott Sigler’s first novel, Earthcore, but Catacombs was written earlier. It might make a nice comparison.
By John Farris; Read by David Stifel
Audible Download – Approx. 16 Hours 51 Minutes [UNABRIDGED]
Publisher: Crossroad Press
Published: September 27, 2012
Deep within the volcanic rock of Mt. Kilamanjaro lie the Catacombs, the enormous hidden burial caves of a vanished African society more sophisticated and technologically advanced than ours. A civilization that has left the formula for present-day domination by a world power etched into blood-red diamonds – the rarest gemstones known. When a prestigious archaeological expedition discovers the valuable ‘bloodstones’, the stage is set for a duel between agents of superpowers and powerful Africans that will be fought to the death deep within the caverns of the ancient ‘Lords of the Storm’.
Here’s the paperback cover put out by Dell books in the 1908s:
Posted by Jesse Willis
- At The Earth’s Core by Edgar Rice Burroughs (podcast and audiobook)
- A Princess Of Mars by Edgar Rice Burroughs COMPLETE, UNABRIDGED and FREE – Read by a professional actor!
- Featured Promotion: At The Earth’s Core and The House On The Borderland
- Review of Starship: Mutiny by Mike Resnick
- SFFaudio Readalong: The Status Civilization by Robert Sheckley
- The Land That Time Forgot by Edgar Rice Burroughs (as read by David Stifel)