A February 28th, 2009 Paradox Entertainment press release (in Swedish), indicates that Random House/Del Rey has signed a deal with Tantor Media to release the “CONAN” licensed Del Rey’s series of paperbooks by Robert E. Howard as audiobooks. Paradox is the parent company for Conan Properties International.
I expect Tantor to do a terrific job with these. Tantor already has many other public domain texts in its audiobook catalogue, including works by Edgar Rice Burroughs, H.G. Wells, Jules Verne and Sir Arthur Conan Doyle.
Of course this whole situation still smells godawful coming as it does less than a week after Paradox’s subsidiary sent another bogus legal threat to Broken Sea Audio Productions (a non-profit fan audio group). Hopefully the horrific stink CPI’s put on the CONAN brand won’t rub off on Tantor’s R.E.H. productions.
Posted by Jesse Willis
- Paradox: CONAN audiobook coming in June 2009
- CONAN attacks fans
- BSAP’s CONAN audio dramas and audiobooks threatened by a big corporate monster
- Comics: Robert E. Howard’s Queen Of The Black Coast as adapted by Petri Hiltunen
- Conan: The UNCOPYRIGHTED – The Hour Of The Dragon by Robert E. Howard
- The SFFaudio Podcast #027