“In 1967, WBAI produced a two-hour radio dramatization of Samuel R. Delany’s first short piece [a novelette] of SF, ‘The Star-Pit’, with narration by Delany himself.” That broadcast is STILL available as 4 FREE MP3s, all of which are downloadable HERE, along with a fascinating article chronicling the radio drama’s production history. Enjoy!
The Star Pit
By Samuel R. Delany; Perfomed by a Full Cast
4 MP3 Files – Approx. 2 Hours [RADIO DRAMA]
Broadcaster: Mind’s Eye Theater / WBAI FM New York
A tale of loneliness and difference, about grounded workers who service the starships that will travel the galaxy. First published in Worlds of Tomorrow, February 1967.
Performers: Samuel R. Delany, Baird Searles, Randa Haynes, Walter Harris, Jerry Matts, Joan Tanner and Phoebe Wray.
Produced by Baird Searles
Production Assistant Neal Conan
Directed by Daniel Landau
Music and Sound Effects by Susan Schweers
Technical Direction by David Rabkin and Ed Woodward
[this post is an update on one from 2006]
Posted by Jesse Willis
- 1967 Radio Drama of a Science Fiction classic available for FREE in MP3
- StarshipSofa Podcast – Samuel R. Delany
- Seeing Ear Theatre: Bruce Sterling, James Patrick Kelly, Samuel R. Delany
- Prisoners Of Gravity – Amnesia / Total Recall: watch or listen to the show
- GenderTalk talks to Samuel R. Delany about his novel Dhalgren
- A Bite of Stars, a Slug of Time, and Thou has Aye and Gomorrah by Samuel R. Delany