In SFFaudio Podcast #051 we talked to Professor Eric S. Rabkin. In that show he mentioned a novel which will be the subject of an upcoming SFFaudio Podcast readalong (scheduled to be recorded in mid-February). That 1978 novel is this book:
SS-GB depicts a Britian under Nazi occupation. It sounds rather similar to two other novels, Robert Harris’ Fatherland and Philip K. Dick’s The Man In The High Castle. More specifically, it is set in alternate history world in which Unternehmen Seelöwe (Operation Sea Lion) was a complete success. The novel begins in November 1941, nine months after a German invasion led to the British surrender. Detective Superintendent Douglas Archer, a British homicide detective assigned to Scotland Yard, is called in to investigate a murder.
Cool huh? I’m afraid that the audiobook is currently out of print – bringing it new attention may rectify that – but, the paperbook is readily available at paperbook stores.
Here is the printed matter preceding Chapter 1 of SS-GB:
Posted by Jesse Willis
- Podiobooks.com: Some Other Scotland by Mick Bordet
- BBC7 Robert Harris’ Fatherland RADIO DRAMA
- The SFFaudio Podcast #203 – READALONG: Footfall by Larry Niven and Jerry Pournelle
- BBC Radio 7 and Radio 4: Fatherland and You’re Entering The Twilight Zone
- The SFFaudio Podcast #021
- New Releases: The Astounding, The Amazing, And The Unknown by Paul Malmont