Scots Gothic – A Portrait Of Edgar Allan Poe In Ayrshire
1 Broadcast – Approx. 30 Minutes [DOCUMENTARY]
Broadcaster: BBC Radio 7
Broadcast: June 27th 2008 @ 9am and 7pm
Billy Kay investigates the impact of Scotland and its culture on the great American author Edgar Allan Poe. As a boy, Poe made an extended visit to Ayrshire in the company of his Scots-born foster father – where the vivid local folklore, bodysnatching stories and school task of recording graveyard epitaphs are all believed to have influenced the development of Poe’s dark imagination. Local historians discuss this world of “Scots Gothic”, with readings from John Buick and Keith Fleming.
It’s already in the “Listen Again” section! Go check it out!
Posted by Jesse Willis
- Edgar Allan Poe all over BBC7 this week
- The Oval Portrait by Edgar Allan Poe
- The SFFaudio Podcast #179 – AUDIOBOOK: The Murders In The Rue Morgue by Edgar Allan Poe
- Never Bet The Devil Your Head by Edgar Allan Poe
- Basil Rathbone reads The Raven by Edgar Allan Poe
- Reading, Short And Deep #033 – The Island Of The Fay by Edgar Allan Poe