CBC Radio One’s Writers & Company podcast has an interview with and a short story by J.G Ballard. In the terrific interview, by Eleanor Wachtel, we learn much of Ballard’s history, including how he found Science Fiction (it was at RCAF Station Moose Jaw)! After the interview is a complete SF short story read by Ballard himself.
“The story,” says James Warner “can be read as a metaphorical account of Ballard’s entire writing career.”
The Enormous Space
By J.G. Ballard; Read by J.G. Ballard
1 |MP3| – Approx. 53 Minutes [UNABRIDGED]
Podcaster: CBC Radio One / Writers & Company
Podcast: May 16th, 2009
A middle class man who chooses to abandon the outside world and restrict himself to his house, becoming a hermit. First published in Interzone #30 (the July/August 1989 issue).
Posted by Jesse Willis
P.S. Hey CBC! We still want that J. Michael Straczynski radio drama series you’re sitting on.
- BBC Radio 4: Will Self on J.G. Ballard [DOCUMENTARY]
- Guardian Short Stories Podcast: My Dream Of Flying To Wake Island by J.G. Ballard
- ITV Podcast interviews J.G. Ballard
- CBC: The Vanishing Point: J.G. Ballard’s The Dead Astronaut
- CBC Radio One’s Writers & Company interviews P.D. James
- A Bite of Stars, a Slug of Time, and Thou has Aye and Gomorrah by Samuel R. Delany