Second Variety And Other Stories
By Philip K. Dick; Read by William Coon
WMA, MP3 or Audible Download – Approx. 6 Hours 20 Minutes [UNABRIDGED]
Publisher: Eloquent Voice
Published: April 15, 2011
Available through: OverDrive, NetLibrary, Audible, CD Baby
This collection of five stories from early in his career casts a spotlight on Dick’s incredible imagination. In Second Variety robot warriors appear to have given one side the advantage in a devastating war. But a small band of soldiers begins to question just what the robots’ endgame truly is. In Beyond Lies The Wub a member of a spaceship’s crew buys a Wub (‘a huge dirty pig!’) for fifty cents, thinking it might be a good source of meat for the long journey home. Then the Wub speaks. In The Eyes Have It a man’s imagination gets the best of him, as he takes the words in a paperback novel a bit too literally. In Piper In The Woods a doctor attempts to unravel the mystery of why workers on an asteroid base begin to behave as if they have become plants. In The Variable Man giant computers indicate earth will likely win an interstellar war that will free it from the limits imposed by an aging Centauran empire. Plans are disrupted, however, when a man from the past arrives and throws off all calculations.
Posted by Jesse Willis
- Piper In The Woods by Philip K. Dick
- The SFFaudio Podcast #390 – AUDIOBOOK: Second Variety by Philip K. Dick
- The SFFaudio Podcast #531 – AUDIOBOOK/READALONG: Piper In The Woods by Philip K. Dick
- The Risk Profession by Donald E. Westlake
- AUDIBLE Sponsored Conversation with Orson Scott Card, Stefan Rudnicki and Ben Bova
- SFFaudio Challenge MET with an unabridged reading of Badge Of Infamy by Lester Del Rey!