The SFFaudio Podcast #151 – Scott, Jesse, and Julie Davis talk, in the second of a six part series, about the books V, VI, VII and VIII of The Odyssey.
Talked about on today’s show:
We join Odysseus crying into the wine dark sea, it’s all about marriage (and homecomings), my wise Penelope, My Big Fat Greek Wedding, Captain Kirk of the Mediterranean, the Samuel Butler translation, Calyspo vs. Circe, Ogygia vs. Scheria, Nausicaa, the role of women in Ancient Greece, adornments to the men, Nausicaa will later marry Telemachus, Odysseus is always being gifts and then losing them into the sea, the LibriVox edition, Poseidon and the other gods are easily distracted, Demodocus may be Homer putting himself into the poem, telling the story from the middle outwards, Memento, a television show inside a television show (a story within a story), Inception, Ino, “oh myself”, an extra god (named “River”), animism, Shinto, does Athena actually seal Odysseus’ eyelids?, Ehren Ziegler’s Chop Bard podcast, rosy fingered Dawn (the goddess), does Dawn work on multiple planets, Apollo worship has really slacked off since Copernicus, crying like a woman, carrying an olive branch like a mountain lion, “tell the one about Odysseus”.
Posted by Jesse Willis
- The SFFaudio Podcast #165 – READALONG: The Odyssey by Homer (Book XIII – XVI)
- The SFFaudio Podcast #172 – READALONG: The Odyssey by Homer (Books XVII – XX)
- The SFFaudio Podcast #182 – READALONG: The Odyssey by Homer (Books XXI to XXIV)
- The SFFaudio Podcast #148 – READALONG: The Odyssey by Homer (Books I – IV)
- The SFFaudio Podcast #156 – READALONG: The Odyssey by Homer (Books IX – XII)
- The SFFaudio Podcast #426 – READALONG: A Fine And Private Place by Peter S. Beagle