Donald E. Westlake talking about the creation of Richard Stark and Stark’s iconic criminal Parker. You get a good sense of how Westlake/Stark wrote. He sets up a situation for his characters and then sees what happens.
Of the movie versions that Westlake talks about I agree, The Outfit is clearly the most faithful to Stark’s work. Lee Marvin is terrific, but he’s not as Parker as Robert Duvall.
Posted by Jesse Willis
- DONALD E. WESTLAKE is dead.
- Recent Arrivals: AudioGo: Donald Westlake and Richard Stark
- “Parker” movie is based on Flashfire by Richard Stark
- The SFFaudio Podcast #413 – READALONG: The Man With The Getaway Face by Richard Stark
- Aural Noir Review of Dirty Money by Richard Stark
- SFPRP: Smoke by Donald E. Westlake and more invisible men